[PD] shouldn't message boxes work as gui elements?

Lorenzo lsutton at libero.it
Mon Feb 8 21:16:59 CET 2010

Hi
>> As for nonlocal send and receive on the current msg box: you've
>> already got a nonlocal send by starting the message box with a
>> semicolon.
>
> That's a different thing. It's not just a matter of being able or not
> being able to send a message to wherever, it is a matter of how the
> box behaves.
> As a user, would you be happy if you were filling a form and there was
> an input field with a label that says:
> "Please enter your name and surname, preceded by a semicolon, a
> newline, the word 'name' in all lower case without quotes, and a white
> space"?
>
> :)
>
> However, I think you are right in that the "gui-element message box"
> (like a numberbox for messages) should probably be a different object
> than the "traditional" message box, and (I add) it should probably not
> allow semicolon and embedded-target-syntax (i.e. sending messages to
> arbitrary targets included in the message itself) because you couldn't
> in any possible way preventing the user to use it (involuntarily) to
> send messages to the wrong target.

I think for some situations the ; method is handy at although it may
look weird at first it's just another convention.

I do agree that the GUI-visible object should be something slightly
different without the send and possibly with gui-customization options
like other guis (colour, font etc).. In the end more like a button.

Bests,
Lorenzo