[PD] triggering audio

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 16 20:59:05 CET 2010

--- On Tue, 2/16/10, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200 at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [PD] triggering audio
> To: PD-list at iem.at
> Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 6:18 PM
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm working through the FLOSS manual on pd attempting to
> learn it.
> I've learned how to make a simple synth using osc~ and
> phasor~
> objects, and I trigger them using a slider patched into an
> mtof
> object.  Lots of fun, but the long tone of an
> oscillator is getting
> boring.  I've scanned through other chapters, and I
> can't seem to find
> other ways of triggering audio.
>
> For example, I've been watching this:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zKzxqN5mUI
>
> Whoever this is uses a sig~ object going through an expr~,
> etc.  I
> don't understand what he's doing, but it looks cool.
> Can someone help
> me understand it?  What are some other things I can
> play with?
>
> Be gentle, I'm new to all of this.  :)

Hi Josh,
     The [sig~] object seems to be used as a place holder in that video--
a way to say, "here are some initial values for [expr~], which can later be changed by using something else as the input."  Have a look at the
help patch for [expr~] for more info.
     Have you looked at the tutorials in doc/3.audio.examples?  For
example, see the "scratch machine" in B07.sampler.pd, and the attack detector in C07.envelope.follower.pd.

-Jonathan