[PD] Window focus in gem

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Feb 19 18:20:08 CET 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 10:47 AM, James Dunn wrote:

> Quoth Justin Glenn Smith, on 18/02/10 19:53:
>>> Hmm, I think [linuxevent] might be the way to go. There's a post
>>> from
>>> Hans in the archives that suggests adding the user to the input
>>> group to
>>> open the keyboard, but I think the group is root? So is this
>>> really the
>>> best way to input my keyboard as an ordinary user in pd? I'd
>>> rather not
>>> have my everday user account with root priveleges.
>>>

>> The point of a group is not giving out root privileges. Adding a
>> user to the input group gives access to input devices, just like
>> adding to the audio group gives access to audio devices. The file
>> to edit for this is /etc/group
>>

> Thanks for the tip. I worked this out in the end, despite
> temporarily disabling root priveliges on all accounts!
> So now I'm using [hid], which is great! But it's outputting double
> triggers for each key press - is this normal? I've attached a patch
> to illustrate the problem and how I have worked around it for now,
> but would be interested to hear other options or alternatives.
>
> thanks

[hid] just outputs the events it gets from /dev/input/event* unless
you've discovered some obscure bug.  What are the full events that you
are getting in duplicate?  (i.e. key key_a 1)

Since you've got [hid] running on GNU/Linux, perhaps you could quickly
outline the steps you needed to take to get it working on pdpedia.  A
lot of people have had trouble getting it going on recent GNU/Linux
distros:
http://wiki.puredata.info/en/hid
For editing, the name is 'pdpedia'  the password is 'puredata'

"We have nothing to fear from love and commitment." - New York Senator
Diane Savino, trying to convince the NY Senate to pass a gay marriage
bill