[PD] osx pduino: nothing works

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Wed Mar 10 17:32:27 CET 2010

On Mar 10, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Derek Holzer wrote:

> List goofballs aside, I think it would be good to clarify all this
> stuff.
>
> The split between the things available on HCs site and what comes
> with Arduino is quite confusing. I was only using the ones from HC
> to keep the versions matching.

No argument here, its just a matter of finding the time to do it.
With Firmata 2.1 the baudrate should be totally stable (that's the big
change between 2.0 and 2.1), and further updates shouldn't cause
issues.  I'm working on finalizing the Pduino 0.5 release.

> The Arduino-provided Firmata stuff does not contain the Pd objects
> themselves, and if the Pd objects must match certain Firmata then it
> would be good to make a note of that somewhere... maybe on the site
> where the Pd stuff is downloaded?

For the latest Pduino, either use the included one, or the one in
Arduino 0018.

> And besides that, if some Firmata says it supports ATMEGA8 then I
> believe what it says. I spent half of yesterday smashing my face
> against the keyboards of 12 students, trying to teach them something
> that was broken, and the reason it was broken was not documented. So
> yes I get a bit cranky!

Firmata is an Arduino library which fully supports the ATMEGA8.
StandardFirmata is a firmware that uses the Firmata library that is
too big for the ATMEGA8.  As a teacher, I would highly recommend
avoiding the ATMEGA8, they are not well supported by the Arduino
community.

.hc