[PD] gui devel idea: "kiosk mode"

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Fri Apr 23 18:57:25 CEST 2010

Since this would involve the GUI side only really, it should be
implemented as a plugin.  One thing I'm planning on adding is a 'pd-
gui' receive, like the 'pd' receive, so you can send messages to the
GUI from pd.  That is currently the only missing piece for
implementing this.

Like was said before, it won't be hard to implement in Tcl, post any
questions here and we can help get it working.

.hc

On Apr 23, 2010, at 12:33 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:

> Is it possible to make these messages that can be sent to a canvas?
> That's already the
> way one changes settings of a canvas (editmode, clear,
> donecanvasdialog, etc.)
>
> Also, that way you
> could have a patch my-kiosk-thingy.pd, and when you open it you
> could have all kinds of
> initialization settings, and a subpatch [pd gui]. When you get all
> the init values set you
> can send [fullscreen 1( -- [s pd-gui] .  Then you don't need to make
> a new object [gui].
>
> -Jonathan
>
> --- On Thu, 4/22/10, errordeveloper at gmail.com <errordeveloper at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> From: errordeveloper at gmail.com <errordeveloper at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] gui devel idea: "kiosk mode"
> To: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Thursday, April 22, 2010, 11:51 PM
>

> i think it's probably better to do this via a msg
>
> so basically there would be commands like:
> gui-hide-menu
> gui-hide-scrollbar
> gui-hide- ...
> gui-canvas-fullscreen
> gui-hide-decortion
>
> so basically you can put this into a subpatch and loadbang whichever
> one
> you need ;)
>
> may it's better to implement this via gui object which you would send
> msgs to ..
>
> [hide-canvas(
> |

> [gui]
>
> or we do this kind of stylie: [; pd-gui command(
>
> ?
>
> i'm not sure which way is more practical ..
>
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 09:57:51PM +0200, András Murányi wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM, João Pais
> <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > just had a thought for a gui development: a runtime mode,
> feasible for
> > > demos or "finished" applications where the user only gets
> presented with the
> > > finished program, and no menus. In opera it's called kiosk mode (
> > > http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/kiosk/): all the menus
> are hidden,
> > > and the user should only interact with the program.
> > >
> > > It doesn't have to go as far as opera's mode (and disable key
> shortcuts),
> > > but if it's not complicated, a "presentation mode" could be nice
> for patch
> > > showcase, finished performance patches or tools, ...
> > > As far as I imagine, some simple options might be enough:
> > >
> > > - hide menus
> > > - hide window lane
> > > - hide borders
> > > - fullscreen mode
> > >
> > > Best,
> > >
> > > João
> > >

> > Sounds good!
> > Seems this is not supported in Tcl/Tk 8.3 but from 8.4 up it is.
> > Which, according to current 'policy', predestines it to be a
> plugin (?),
> [...]

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman