[PD] Change CPU rules and another unrelated question

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Aug 16 10:07:26 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 01:11:53AM +0200, Pierre Massat wrote:
> I have two questions:
> Is there a way i could tell my laptop to use a certain cpu rule from within
> Pd? In a previous post I was advised to change the cpu rules so as to
> prevent the processor from lowering it's frequency. I am slightly afraid of
> frying my laptop if the cpu rule is set on Performance all the time, so i m
> wondering if i could let Pd choose depending on what subpatch is on. Is
> there a way to do this using [shell]?

Usually you have a tool like "cpufreq-set" available to use as a shell
command to change the governors for CPU powersaving, check the man page
for usage. You can use this with [shell] or write a quick pdlua object
or whatever you prefer to use to execute external commands.
"cpufreq-info" gives info about the current and available settings.

I run the "ondemand" governor here and generally never touch
it. The kernel scales frequencies up and down on its own and does so
much faster, than I or Pd could do manually. But I guess, this depends a
bit on your hardware.

Ciao
--
Frank