[PD] GEM: pix_film terribly slow in Ubuntu

Matteo Sisti Sette matteosistisette at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 19:12:01 CEST 2010

On 08/18/2010 06:23 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid it will have to be Windows, as I remember GEM performing
>> 5-6 times worse on Mac than on Windows (reading and rendering video
>> files i.e. using pix_film) and not only with h264.............
>
> does it also happen when not reading and writing video ? I mean, make a
> patch that does a lot of pix processing on top of a [pix_image] and then
> just displays that with a single [pix_texture] or [pix_draw]. Is that
> kind of thing slower on OSX than on Windows and/or Linux ?
>
> I ask because I wonder whether it can be linked with a problem I know
> about on OSX...

Sorry, I have no idea. All the patches I tried on Mac had only very
basic or no pix processing but played back and displayed fragment of
quite a few videos.

And right now (nor in the near future) I don't have access to a Mac to
do more tests.

I thought the bottleneck was in reading and/or decoding the files rather
than rendering, but now I can't remember what made me think that (if
there was a good reason at all).