[PD] sssad in pd-extended?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 19:02:05 CEST 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 6:47 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 06:03:34AM -0400, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>> I think this has been asked before, but why isn't sssad included in
>> pd-extended? It's stable and I've been using it for quite some time
>> and I know its getting plenty of use in rjlib.
>
> Apart from being packaged as its own Debian package (which is a new
> requirement) it fulfills all requirements for pd-x-inclusion listed on
> the puredata.info page.
>
> Maybe the question should better be: Why was sssad removed from
> pd-extended after 0.41 and still is?

I think it's the maintenance issue. I can understand the need to flush everything out, then start adding the solid, maintainable externals back in ... although I think sssad is both solid and maintainable already.

> but I know, that many people would love to use sssad or already do but
> hate it when they have to install a single-object library manually into
> their pd-extended install.

Ja, that's why I distribute sssad with my lib. It would be nicer to have it as a pd-ext standard IMO, so those of us who use it in abstractions can stop packaging it.

Are there any objections to me following Hans' guide and adding it? What about the Debian packaging issue? I suppose I can do that too if needed ... as well as volunteer to be the maintainer. I want to push my patches into pd-ext soon anyway.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com
robotcowboy.com