[PD] sssad in pd-extended?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Tue Sep 21 20:19:12 CEST 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:

> On Sep 21, 2010, at 6:47 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 06:03:34AM -0400, Dan Wilcox wrote:
>>> I think this has been asked before, but why isn't sssad included in
>>> pd-extended? It's stable and I've been using it for quite some time
>>> and I know its getting plenty of use in rjlib.
>>
>> Apart from being packaged as its own Debian package (which is a new
>> requirement) it fulfills all requirements for pd-x-inclusion listed
>> on
>> the puredata.info page.
>>
>> Maybe the question should better be: Why was sssad removed from
>> pd-extended after 0.41 and still is?
>
> I think it's the maintenance issue. I can understand the need to
> flush everything out, then start adding the solid, maintainable
> externals back in ... although I think sssad is both solid and
> maintainable already.
>
>> but I know, that many people would love to use sssad or already do
>> but
>> hate it when they have to install a single-object library manually
>> into
>> their pd-extended install.
>
> Ja, that's why I distribute sssad with my lib. It would be nicer to
> have it as a pd-ext standard IMO, so those of us who use it in
> abstractions can stop packaging it.
>
> Are there any objections to me following Hans' guide and adding it?
> What about the Debian packaging issue? I suppose I can do that too
> if needed ... as well as volunteer to be the maintainer. I want to
> push my patches into pd-ext soon anyway.

 From what I rememeber, it was excluded because it was non-functional
the way it was included.  There is a bug that prevents the libdir
packaging working when the folder has the same name as the abstraction
in it, i.e. sssad/sssad.pd.  T
This works with binary externals.

As for alternate ways of including things besides libdirs, there are
lots of kludges currently in Pd-extended.  I've been spending a lot of
my time maintaining them.  I'm working on reducing maintenance time so
I can actually spend time coding new things.  So far, only a couple
people have a track record of actually maintaining code in Pd-extended
without me needing to get involved (Martin Peach, Matju, Roman,
IOhannes, I'm probably missing someone).

So I think the way forward is to make it easy for people to distribute
their own libraries on their own, and make them really easy to install
and use.  Pd-extended 0.42.5 and Pd-vanilla 0.43 have big improvements
in that regard, so people should try that path first (i.e. package as
libdir, make the libdir usable when dropped into the standard user
install paths in the FAQ, etc.)

"[T]he greatest purveyor of violence in the world today [is] my own
government." - Martin Luther King, Jr.