[PD] Tip of the Day

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 10:26:48 CET 2010

--- On Mon, 12/6/10, Lorenzo Sutton <lsutton at libero.it> wrote:

> From: Lorenzo Sutton <lsutton at libero.it>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Tip of the Day
> To: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Monday, December 6, 2010, 9:28 AM
> Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >       What do people think of
> the little "Tip of the Day" windows that
> > are in some software?  Are they helpful?
> Annoying?
> My two cents.
> I think they are pretty useless and annoying, as randomly
> suggesting something doesn't add any help to the total
> beginner ("did you know you can type ctrl+1 to create a new
> object?"... well thank you but I'd really like to know how
> to make those cool sounds  in pd like the videos I saw
> on youtube!)
>
> But I guess it's a matter of personal taste.
>
> Maybe, though, some of those "tips" could go in some sort
> of Pd quick tutorial or cookbook... but searchable and well
> indexed?

I was trying to focus on matters of edition and odds and ends that
are easy to overlook in such tutorials.  Every one of the tips is
covered somewhere in Pd's help docs, but they're all scattered
about.

As for searchable and well-indexed-- that's the idea of the META
subpatch, which I've added to all the internal help patches as well
as many external help patches, too.  Not too long ago I posted a
screenshot of a search patch I made that dynamically generates
results in the form of link + object description.  I've done the
same for Miller's tutorials but I have no idea whether he'll include
them or not.

-Jonathan