[PD] libraries in Pd-extended 0.43

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Dec 14 16:43:22 CET 2010

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, John Harrison wrote:

> If it were up to me, we'd keep all of Sevy's stuff in Pd-extended. The
> licenses Sevy offers conflict with the licenses of much of the software
> it borrows from (for example EffecTV) so they are invalid anyway.

Invalid licenses are not to be automatically ignored. If you sign a
contract that contradicts itself, that doesn't allow you to ignore any
part of that contract. Instead, the contract has to be explicitly amended
so that it can be respected wholly.

> I don't buy the argument that the Sevy's stuff should be removed out of
> respect for the author, as this argument conflicts with a more
> compelling argument of respect for the community, for free software, and
> for the GPL license.

Sevy's stuff should be removed out of respect for the GPL license.
Do you get this ?