[PD] optimizing big patches

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jan 12 19:57:33 CET 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 01:25:33PM -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> OTOH, another way to deal with a slow interpreter, is to pass fewer,
>> bigger messages, to objects that do more work at once. This is much of
>> the original idea for creating GridFlow.
> It's also the idea behind the "BSP"-approach I described in my LAC2010 paper:

It would be appropriate to pick a more descriptive name than Blocked
Signal Processing, because that sounds quite a lot more like what Pd
already does in its dsp all of the time, and it doesn't say what you make
it do that is any different from what it already does.

> http://markmail.org/message/xnerkchl24j6p42k where calculations you'd
> typically do in message space are made with signal objects.

So, doesn't this mean that they have to be done at a rate that is a power
of two times the audio sampling rate ?