[PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 00:13:05 CET 2011

--- On Thu, 2/17/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> From: Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>
> Subject: Re: [PD] FLOSS book Lists chapter
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <jancsika at yahoo.com>
> Cc: padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk, pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 9:25 PM
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
>
> > if { $xlets_involved > 2 } { menu_doc_open
> attachment_dir horiz-connections.pd }
>
> Error: Success
>
> Now what's the problem with horizontal wires ?
>
> I mean those that aren't overlapping any inlets or outlets,
> not the ones in your patch.

Here's a revised version where the wires aren't overlapping.

How do you know they aren't overlapping?
1) Use pd-ext and notice the difference between the 1px gray box and the
1px black connections.
2) Actually move the object to _reveal_ that the connection don't overlap.
3) Always assume that the patch creator followed the rule of "don't
overlap xlets".

1 is implementation specific and ridiculously subtle for an
environment where "the diagram is the code", 2 is wasting people's time
by making them fuss around in the patch in order to be sure they
understand what it does, and 3 is easy to screw up:

 __[inlet]_

(On a narrow object like [f] it's very easy to make a connection to the
wrong inlet.  Well, not as easy on pd-l2ork...)

So I guess qualify it to "no horizontal connections unless there's only 1
inlet and 1 outlet involved".

-Jonathan