[PD] TouchOSC and Pure Data on OS X

Wilfred de Zoete puredata at klankontwerp.nl
Wed Mar 9 10:05:13 CET 2011

Thanks for the replies. I will comment on some quotes below:

Op 09-03-11 03:40, William Brent schreef:
> OSCulator is really fantastic, yes.  In this case though, I think it's
> easier to keep things streamlined and route everything in Pd.  I
> didn't think of it until your reply, Richie, but I made this
> abstraction for touchOSC's "simple" layout.  Just invoke it with a
> port number [ipad-interface 8000] and you'll get all the parsed data
> flowing to well-named sends.  For instance, to get the data from fader
> 4 on page 1 of the simple layout, you can receive from [r
> ipad-8000-p1-fader4].  Comb through the rest of the patch to see how
> other sends are named.

- Thanks. I will install the mrpeach library (I have updated my
SVN-folder although I haven't used it in PD yet) and try your patch.

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM, Richie Cyngler<glitchpop at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> My problem with TouchOSC was getting it to see my laptop. I haven't been
>> able to set up a network with just the laptop and TouchOSC (though I haven't
>> tried for a while) this is supposed to work though.
>> As far as using OSC in Pd check out the mrpeach library. It is awesome.
>> I'm sure it's possible to get the OSC data to come straight into Pd but in
>> regards to getting those messages all nice and neat and easy I recommend
>> OSCulator (I have no connection to guy making it, I just like it). It's
>> third party software. Very easy to use and works very well. It's OSX only.
>> I've used OSCulator for wiimotes and wacom tablets... I'm not really using
>> OSC at the moment, so I haven't had a chance to give TouchOSC a good going
>> over yet, but OSCulator does support TouchOSC.
>> Hope that helps.

- Somehow I got the patch working once without any
library-installation... I don't know how but now I know that it's not
part of the normal extended because when I try to reproduce Richies
patch PD prints "...couldn't create".

I have also downloaded and will buy OSCulator and got it up and running,
I got it to control iTunes via Applescript (Apples native Remote app has
issues here) and QLab. I also got LiveControl running to control ...
Ableton Live.

My first attempt with TouchOSC and PD got a good connection too as print
was working overtime with the xyz-axis. This was via direct connection
via UDP from iPhone to PD. The hostname is mycomputer.local and I used
outgoing port 8000.