[PD] 4 cameras for tracking people in a space

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon May 23 21:35:23 CEST 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011, ronni montoya wrote:

> The thing is that i went to a conference where a guy explained he used 4
> cameras to track people in a space instead of just one and you dont need
> to have a high roof . I would like to know if somebody know this
> technique for tracking people in spaces with 4 cameras ?

That's interesting, because I also have used 4 cameras to track people in
a space. It was a long room in which at the middle of the long walls I put
two cameras per wall, pointing diagonally towards a car mirror such that
each camera would see nearly one half of the space. I used those
mirrors to increase the field of view from the standard 53⁰-by-41⁰ to
something like 83⁰ wide, which is still not enough, but a big improvement.

You could also use a single mirror and a single camera, if it has enough
resolution... but then your mirror will be heavily curved, which means
that you wouldn't be able to do the kind of mathematical shortcuts one can
take when the mirrors aren't very curvy. And then you have a hole in the
middle in which the camera sees itself.