[PD] "When the bubbles exploded, they tickled the bath."

Mikael Fernstrom mikael.fernstrom at ul.ie
Thu May 26 13:47:35 CEST 2011

The question is close to some of the issues we (softday.ie) explored
in our Marbh Chrios performance. Just playing a sound doesn't make any
bubbles.

Eventually, we thought about what a human drowning would sound like.
After playing around with various patches, we decided to use a plastic
bottle with a contact mic and sing through a hose, allowing the
airflow of the singer to bubble the water. This contraption is now
known as our Bubbleizer (and looks good in a performance).

This is, of course, not the true answer to the question as sound isn't
"contained" in the bubbles, but as a metaphor it works ok. You could
probably get a similar effect by passing your sound through a set of
tuned vcf~ objects controlled by "bubbly" ramps.
/Mikael