[PD] Another arduino weirdness

Martin martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 14 23:01:03 CEST 2011

On 14/06/11 04:44 PM, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
> On 06/14/2011 09:58 PM, Matteo Sisti Sette wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> With this:
>>
>> [arduino]
>>       [print ARDUINO]
>>
>> On Windows (with the very same arduino board), it doesn't print
>> anything!!
>>

> Nothing is even coming out from [comport] when the connection is
> established (in Windows)!! (but it does print things when data
> messages are received, such as digital pin data)
>
> It's as if the arduino itself was actually behaving differently on
> different platforms...
>
> or maybe [comport]. But why would [comport] drop some specific
> messages? It doesn't even know about "messages", right? It only sees
> incoming bytes, doesn't it?

Well maybe you have different versions of [comport]. The 'open' message
is output after the [comport] object receives an [info( message from
within the Pd patch: it's not related to the arduino.

> I thought I would post the output from [comport] when connecting the
> arduino, on Windows and on Linux, but it is not always the same. Even
> if "open"ing a freshly reset arduino (i.e. just after connecting it to
> the usb port, and without any extra circuitry), the output from
> [comport] is not always the same.
>
> Furthermore, it seems it is sending digital pin data messages (which
> may happen randomly since no pin is connected to anything) even if it
> has never received any "pìnMode" message. Is that expected behavior?

Pins default to input. You can often change unconnected pins by moving
your charge-carrying body parts near them.

Martin