[PD] Pd performance at TED

Pedro Oliveira hello at partidoalto.net
Mon Jun 20 15:55:40 CEST 2011

Hi Patrice,

I think you didn't get my point... I mentioned Coltrane as an example of a
musician that extrapolated his own instrument from the 12-tone idea
(particularly from *A Love Supreme* on).

However, I think that open musical structures are a more complex subject to
put it into the "improvisation" badge. For instance, if you take Terry
Riley's "In C", to name a well-known piece, its structure is fairly open,
although no player improvises. This is also used in many musical pieces and
it was discussed even by Umberto Eco as *open works*...* *and correct me if
I'm wrong, but I think they differ from improvisation...

And again, what "whatever he likes" mean when you're using Pd? If you're the
composer *and* the performer, you're free to put whatever pleases you
aesthetically but that doesn't consist of improvisation, as I see. When you
design a patch in Pd you don't have *all* possibilities in your hands at any
given time, and that is why I think the idea of improvisation is, perhaps,
misinterpreted.

I'm not postulating an ultimate truth or mentality whatsoever, I'm just..
speculating. :)

Cheers!