[PD] Pd performance at TED

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 19:08:48 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca>wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>
>> --- On Sun, 6/19/11, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> What's a « technological parody » ?
>>>

>> It's where you take something like a modern digital computer and do DSP by
>> using an interface modeled after 30 year-old analog audio equipment.
>>

> Therefore Pd is a technological parody ?

Seems like this fits into the discussion of CV's in digital synthesizers,
however briefly on-topic it was :)

Pd is *not* a technological parody by being able to do everything that a
30-year-old analog interface could do, because it does it better.  Hardware
for running Pd to accomplish the same tasks can be smaller and less
specialized.  There's lower noise, less distortion--things that would take a
team of engineers several years to build with hardware would be programmable
in Pd in less time.

A technological parody ought to be defined by:
1.  usage of high-tech hardware to fulfill a low-tech purpose
2.  an unwarranted degree of specialization or wasteful usage of hardware
size/power

e.g. a wind controller shaped exactly like a clarinet, running off a DSP
board, and all it does is sound exactly like a clarinet.  Why don't I just
mic a clarinet?
Anybody else got one?

Chuck