[PD] [soundtouch~] pitch shifter for Pure Data

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Mon Sep 19 19:00:16 CEST 2011

On Sep 17, 2011, at 6:24 PM, katja wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at at.or.at> wrote:
>
> hey Katja,
>
> I am trying your soundtouch~ on Ubuntu/Maverick.  First I tried the
> included binary, then I built it from source. Both ways I got this:
>
> soundtouch~.pd_linux: soundtouch~.pd_linux: undefined symbol: _Znaj
>

> Are you building for a 64 bit system? I have tried that several
> times,  and can't remember all the details, but that wouldn't make
> much of a difference because so far I never succeeded to make it
> load. For Linux 32 bit (Ubuntu, Debian), I have not seen this issue.
> But I don't know by head which gcc version was used for these.

Nope, this is on Ubuntu/Maverick/i386 32-bit.  I haven't really
ventured into 64-bit territory. I hope you get your 64-bit float
support nailed down, that is a great thing, that'll make the switch to
64-bit worth it to me.

> When building the soundtouch~ class for Windows with latest mingw, I
> had a problem with missing libs, and this could be solved by
> including cflags;
>
> -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++
>
> For what I understand this is a specific feature of mingw, where
> they have (recently) split the gnu standard library in smaller
> units, for which you can choose to include them statically or supply
> dll's. I have noticed the discussion on the list about this topic.
> But now I wonder if 64 bit Linux, or maybe gcc 4.5, have adopted a
> similar approach? I am mostly on OSX and Debian with not so new GNU
> tools.

You could also just include the DLLs if you wanted.  This is not MinGW
specific, its just that Debian, Ubuntu, Mac OS X, etc. provide those
dynamic libs as part of the OS, while Windows does not.  For Pd-
extended 0.43 on Windows, I included the libgcc and libstdc++ DLLs, so
that externals built with MinGW don't need to include libgcc or libstdc
++ either as statically linked in or as an included DLL.

I hate it when they say, "He gave his life for his country."  Nobody
gives their life for anything.  We steal the lives of these kids.  -
Admiral Gene LeRocque