[PD] OT - C++ for reusable dsp lib - or better use C?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at at.or.at
Sat Feb 25 23:49:21 CET 2012

On Feb 25, 2012, at 4:14 PM, Phil Stone wrote:

> On 2/25/12 11:43 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>
>> Le 2012-02-25 à 12:32:00, patrick a écrit :
>>
>>> I wish I could code an external like he's coding:
>>> http://vimeo.com/36579366
>>
>> you're not mentioning which part of this extremely long video you are referring to, and this player does not allow skip-ahead, which means I can't fast-forward faster than the download speed of the whole thing. This is why I won't try to figure out what you mean.
>
> It's well worth watching, all the way through. It was a "eureka" moment for me -- I now see the potential of "live-coding."

I agree that instant feedback is very important, that's a big reason why I use Pd.  I wonder if he's ever used Pd.  Pd has been providing a lot of that experience for almost 2 decades now.  The one thing in it that Pd does not provide is the ability to click on the generated image in order to see which code is generating that part of the image.  That would be a nice feature to have.  But I can't see how you would generalize beyond drawing pictures.  Drawing with code is basically the easiest realm to solve that particular problem, IMHO. How would you click on the sound to see the code that is generating it?  How would you click on a mail program, a network service, file encryption?

The live table of variables is pretty typical for lots of debuggers like Java in Eclipse.  That would be nice to have as an extended Magic Glass version: basically, tag cords and they would be listed in separate table view as you tag them.  I think the tags could be little random colored shapes to mark the code and its place in the table.

"[W]e have invented the technology to eliminate scarcity, but we are deliberately throwing it away to benefit those who profit from scarcity."        -John Gilmore