[PD] Editing CSS style, make pd.info better? [WAS: puredata.info site design provocation]

Marco Donnarumma devel at thesaddj.com
Sun Mar 11 12:15:20 CET 2012

(sorry I'm reposting this, cause I forgot to change the subject :/ but it's
important to keep the thread in one piece)

 Folks, I think I'm going to put this online since the feedback have been
mostly positive.
> Stop me now, or let me go!
>
> anyway, nothing is irreversible, actually Plone says it's very easy to
revert changes, etc...
> I'm going for it.
>
> @Andras: see my comments below...
>

>> - could you post a screenshot of the footer?
>
> Attached.
> For the footer I tried to get rid of the colophones which are really 80s
(I love 80s),
> and just left the textual credit.
> That's the best way I see it, and hopefully does not take away the
relevance of IEM.
> However, I don't want to take decision, ppl let me know what you rather.
> I would rather adding an IEM logo, but I just can't help with the
colophons thing.

>> - what do you think about making News and Recent Changes more similar to
>> the menu by adding an internal padding to the whole containing element,
and
>> at the same time, decreasing the padding/margin of the individual items?
>

> Yes, that could be good, but if you notice the linkable text of News and
Changes can be much longer than the menu items.
> Therefore, we might have two or three lines of text in that sidebar, and
that would not be controllable,
> and possibly look bad.
> I can try that and see how it goes.
>
>> A few humble ideas about the main page:
>> - the link to the Belorussian translation looks a bit orphaned, but I
don't
>> know where else it could go
>

> agree
>

>> - seeing the same "old" screenshots on the opening page is a waste of
prime
>> time space IMHO, because once you took a look at them you won't use that
>> part of the website anymore
>

> Agree, I think what Andy said is also crucial.
> We can't have a Pd patch screenshot which can't be read on the community
homepage.
> It's a bit embarassing. Specially when you show it to your student,
bothering them about the patching guidelines.

>> - what do you people think about moving the current content of the main
>> page to a menu item like "What is Pd?" and filling the  page with more
>> dynamic content? eventually, to fill with leads of News and Recent
Changes
>> items, which could even eliminate the need of those blocks (News is
already
>> on main page only, Recent Changes appear on some sub pages but not on
each).

> Then we would have What is Pd and Exhibition.
> Yes, they are not the same conceptually, but it risk to be confusing imho.
> I think we should first try to make the home simply more attractive, and
try to deploy better the pages are already there.
> Then, if we realize those pages aren't enough, we can start thinking
about new things.
> But I think the potential of the present structure and its contents are
truly overlooked.

>> - if the main page ever gets populated with News et al, it would be nice
>> have a cover picture however. Eventually rotating cover pictures,
possibly
>> linked. Maybe a crazy idea, but wouldn't it make sense to have a
>> carousel-like thing showing up items from the Exhibition on the main
page?

> This is a good idea, was wondering whether we could implement some
connection with the Pure Data Vimeo channel.
> So we would also more clearly relate to Pd social world. And perhaps,
more ppl will become aware Pd has a social world outside of forums and list.

--
Marco Donnarumma
New Media + Sonic Arts Practitioner, Performer, Teacher, Director.