[PD] Sine Wave Compilation

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:45:18 CEST 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-01 at 11:28 -0400, Jonathan Siemasko wrote:
> Thought some people on the list might be interested in participating
> in this:
>

> The sine waves compilation (to be titled once all submissions are in)
> will use songs written using ONLY sine waves in their creation. All
> oscillations, modulations, lfo's, envelopes, etc, MUST use only sine
> waves.

I could imagine that people have troubles with the given constraint. Any
sound consists of only sine waves. For instance, I often use
band-limited oscillators for saw tooth and rectangle waveforms, which
are based on the tables that are generated using the sinesum command,
which means the waveforms are composed purely of sine components. But
even if you do not compose a waveform yourself like when you're using a
[phasor~], the waveform still consists of a sum of sine components in
the end (either explicitly or implicitly). So, where do you draw the
line?
Strictly sticking to your constraint, every music I ever made in my life
would fit the application. But then, I can't see the reasoning anymore
for making a constraint at all.

Don't get wrong, I generally appreciate your effort in creating a
submission/competition of this kind, but encourage you to refine the
constraints.

Roman