[PD] [PD-dev] Plugins preferences (Was Re: Plugins Plugin error)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 2 01:33:58 CEST 2012

>________________________________

Hehe.  That brings up an issue, though...

Basically we're talking about a "Preferences" dialogue for Pd, which Pd currently lacks for gui attributes, and
also scatters in arbitrary places with the audio and midi preferences, and the thing currently called "preferences"
which is just the search path dialog.

What is needed is a single prefs dialog window with two frames-- 1) a listbox on the left (or treeview if you want to
have categories like gui, audio, midi, etc.), and the frame on the right which has the checkboxes, labels, and
buttons that correspond to the settings for whatever happens to be selected in the listbox/treeview.  So if the user
selects "midi setup", they see all the widgets on the right that are currently housed in the midi dialog.  If they click
"Plugins", they get the list of all plugins which they can turn on or off.  Finally, there needs to be a common
interface so that plugin #12 can create widgets for its settable attributes and they show up when the user selects
"plugin #12" in the preferences dialog.

That way, a canvas/box/wire color plugin can just consist of these widgets and their corresponding variables, so
that the user can set them all in the "Preferences" dialog window.

And if it's to be not only be a good interface for devs, but also for users, each list of attributes should have the same
look and feel.  I think matju did something like this with auto-generatable properties dialogs.

If I get some time I'll try to code a prototype for the type of ui I'm talking about.

-Jonathan