[PD] "oops: ALSA cards not reported in order?"

Julian Brooks jbeezez at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 14:48:41 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I have recently upgraded my system to Debian Sid (with some wheezy pinning)
which is the post-puredyne/eighty-column newfangled method.  See here for
more info:
http://eightycolumn.lurk.org/Category:Debian

When I try to run my fresh new Pd install (0.43.2-3 from the debian
unstable repository) this is what happens:

'oops: ALSA cards not reported in order?
oops: ALSA cards not reported in order?
priority 8 scheduling enabled.
priority 6 scheduling enabled.
watchdog: signaling pd...
watchdog: signaling pd...
watchdog: signaling pd...
watchdog: signaling pd...'

Not good obviously.  When I start with these flags this happens:

'puredata -alsa -listdev -nogui -noaudio

oops: ALSA cards not reported in order?
oops: ALSA cards not reported in order?
audio input devices:
1. HDA Intel (hardware)
2. HDA Intel (plug-in)
3. Hammerfall DSP (hardware)
4. Hammerfall DSP (plug-in)
5. ThinkPad Console Audio Control (hardware)
6. ThinkPad Console Audio Control (plug-in)
audio output devices:
1. HDA Intel (hardware)
2. HDA Intel (plug-in)
3. Hammerfall DSP (hardware)
4. Hammerfall DSP (plug-in)
5. ThinkPad Console Audio Control (hardware)
6. ThinkPad Console Audio Control (plug-in)
API number 1

no midi input devices found
no midi output devices found
oops: ALSA cards not reported in order?

priority 6 scheduling enabled.
priority 8 scheduling enabled.'

I add this for possibly useful info:

'julian at jb-laptop:~/Desktop$ aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: DSP [Hammerfall DSP], device 0: RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface [RME
Hammerfall DSP + Multiface]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0'

This too:

'julian at jb-laptop:~/Desktop$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xfe220000 irq 45
 1 [DSP            ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP
                      RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface at 0xc0000000, irq 16
29 [ThinkPadEC     ]: ThinkPad EC - ThinkPad Console Audio Control
                      ThinkPad Console Audio Control at EC reg 0x30, fw
7MHT25WW-1.03'

The RME soundcard is loading fine at startup.  No problems with
HDSPconf/mixer AFAICT.  Get sound out of the RME with Audacity and jack
seems to be running fine too (though annoyingly the apt-get install removed
jack2 (which I would like to use so I can run jacktrip but that's not my
top priority atm and installed jack1).

Laptop is a lenovo x61s 7700.

Any pointers would be great as I'm out of ideas and starting to lose the
plot with this now.

Cheers,

Julian