[PD] ANN: New version of Pd-L2Ork Software Featured in the Inaugural VT ICAT Maker Workshop for Middle-School Kids

yvan volochine yvan.pd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 23:19:21 CEST 2012

On 07/30/2012 05:29 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> check out what the latest version of pd-l2ork is all about ;-)

hiho

this sounds really nice, but let me just add a couple of comments.

  - it took me 5 min to find the tar.bz2 download link on your website
(really)

  - unpacking Pd-l2ork-dev-xxx.tar.bz2 via thunar puts everything into a
`pure-data' folder, messing up my pure-data git folder (I know I could
have used the terminal but I don't think using an archive name different
than its main folder name is a good idea really)

  - is there an "unbloated" version of pd-l2ork? like a
pd-vanilla-l2ork? (i.e. maybe I don't need 130Mo of libraries that I'll
probably never use, but there I might be missing what pd-l2ork is about...)

  - why not having the pd-l2ork-dev snapshot on your github? it would
make the install *much* simpler... right now I'm not sure what is
`pd-l2ork/pd' github repository...

  - about L2Ork Folder Structure: do you really create 2 new user
accounts when installing pd-l2ork? if yes, why? do users need to tweak
those when using rt-kernel (like adding the users to audio group, or any
other fancy things)? why not keeping it simple and use pd-l2ork with the
current building user (like I would expect with any other application)?

sorry if this sounds picky, no offense intended (and I probably missed
the obvious)..
once again, this project looks very nice but frankly, it's the 2nd time
this year I wanna give pd-l2ork a shot and just gave up because all
these points make it very hard to understand what/how to
build/install... I wish there was just a git repo with one README.
3 lines in my terminal et voilà ;)

thanks for the enlightments =)

best,

http://yvanvolochine.com