[PD] list vs. symbol array [was: Re: Licensing issues]

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 20:04:35 CET 2012

Jesus, I wasn't responding to the specific example, nor was I saying you can do *everything* in Pd without externals. I too would love [coll] and [zl] in pd-vanilla. I'm also not saying you can easily build copies of them in vanilla, just that it is possible for certain things depending on what you need. By "seeing the vanilla light", I mean more that there are some things I needed externals for that I can replace and others I can reduce to a usable set for what I need ala rjdj. This is mainly because I will now need to target both desktop PD and a libpd environment.

Also, I've never had to sort a list of symbols, so our workflow is different. I mainly use PD for sound only and do graphics/other tasks separately.

>> I didn't mean to bring up an externals vs vanilla debate. We obviously use what's best for the situation. I'm choosing to work more in vanilla land because I simply can't include some externals in my app. Plus, I know those patches will *just work* for everyone.
>
> And what I'm saying is that some of those abstractions will _not_ *just work* for everyone because of the severe
> limitations of working in Pd Vanilla without any externals.  You can't easily change [symbolarray] to accommodate
> an array of lists instead of an array of symbols, and you cannot easily add a sorting mechanism because
> splitting symbols in Pd is difficult and slow.  For someone coming from Max's [coll] and [zl] and finding [textfile]/
> [qlist] inadequate for their list-of-list handling needs I find it very unlikely that [symbolarray] would suit their
> needs.
>

>> We'll see in practice if this works, but I'd much rather avoid coding custom externals for this project.
>>

>> Also, does anyone know what cyclone's license is? I can't find the current version in the svn, but the old zip on the website has a BSD-like license. Having [coll] and [seq] would be very useful. It'd be nice to see these in vanilla at some point ... why reinvent the wheel?
>
> Look in [pd META] in the help patches for both those objects and it should tell you the license.
> SIBSD = Standard Improved BSD (which isn't a "standard" name for this license at all so we should
> probably change the terminology at some point) = 3-clause BSD
>
> -Jonathan
>

>> [1] You can certainly split symbols and count their length in Pd vanilla but it ain't
>>> pretty.
>>
>> [list-sort] in list-abs.
>

> It only works for lists of floats:
>

> [list abigail aardvark(
> |
> [list-abs/list-sort]
> |
> [print]
>
> print: list-sort: Warning: dropped a non-number from list
> print: list-sort: Warning: dropped a non-number from list
> print: bang
>

>> --------
>> Dan Wilcox
>> danomatika.com