[PD] Freezes with Pd-Extended and Jack

Esteban Viveros emviveros at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 18:14:44 CET 2012

Lorenzo,

I tried to run Pd-Extended after and until run jack and I have the same
problem.

I forgot to say, I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 *64bits* ..

Ivica,

About Jack, I have installed the most recent version... Jack2 1.9.8 .. I'm
using the k <https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-team/+archive/ppa>xstudio
ppa<https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-team/+archive/ppa>and the dream
studio ppa <https://launchpad.net/~dreamstudio/+archive/dreamstudio-stable>.
I think in there we have the most recent and stable jackd versions...

I can try contact with jack list yet..  Some suggestions?

2012/11/23 Ivica Bukvic <ico at vt.edu>

> Starting jack after pd is fixed in pd-l2ork. Likewise, hanging after
> connection with jack is lost is fixed in pd-l2ork. Pd 0.43 also has a
> regression in its audio stack rewrite where reconnecting to jack fails and
> outputs a salvo of errors (at least this was the case with the one that
> ships with Ubuntu).
>
> In respect to pd-l2ork and jack there is only one more lingering problem
> which is actually related to jackd that ships with Ubuntu 12.04. Namely,
> sometimes when jack is running and one somehow loses the soundcard (e.g.
> accidental disconnection of a usb soundcard) while jackd is running.
> Killing jackd process fixes this (since it is the one hanging and it never
> sends signal to pd-l2ork or any other client that the sound is gone so
> pd-L2ork waits on jackd). I was assured that this has been fixed if one
> compiles latest version of jackd from source but haven't tried yet if that
> indeed fixes it.
>
> HTH
> On Nov 23, 2012 5:01 AM, "Lorenzo Sutton" <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 21/11/12 23:35, Esteban Viveros wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm using pd-extended 0.43.4, installed via Hans-Cristoph Steiner ppa.
>>> I'm using this version because I can't install the stable version in Ubuntu
>>> 12.04.
>>>
>>> The problem is, when I start pd with Jack in -rt mode or wherever mode,
>>> if I turn on dsp, they work well, but if I turn off, and try to turn on yet
>>> dsp, pd-extended freeze...
>>>
>> Does this happen even if jack (through Qjackctl or whatever) was started
>> *before you start Pd??
>>
>> If so I guess it could be this bug:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/**tracker/index.php?func=detail&**
>> aid=3543466&group_id=55736&**atid=478070<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3543466&group_id=55736&atid=478070>
>>
>> Indeed also turning DSP off when jack was auto-started by Pditselfscrews
>> everything up.
>>
>> The workaround in this case would be to always start jack *before*
>> starting Pd, then everything seems to behave well.
>>
>> Lorenzo.
>>

>>> Closing Qjackctl (after some time ubuntu can close that) pd-extended
>>> returns to work, and I can use on alsa directly sucessfull..
>>>
>>> Someone knows where I can comunicate this bug to the developers? Is here
>>> the place?

Esteban Viveros

(27) 8815 7170
(27) 3066 0359