[PD] more fun with translations

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 22:39:24 CET 2012

----- Original Message -----

Just to reiterate: all the symbols that come after "KEYWORDS" inside [pd META]
must remain in English.  If you translate those keywords you will be _extremely_
confused because a properly translated search homepage will display
"translated_foo", and the [pd META] of the patch will have
"KEYWORDS translated_foo", but the search-plugin will be searching under the
hood for "foo" and you won't get results.

Upshot: if you want your Portuguese tutorial to work with the "Search by Category"
links in the search-plugin, write the [pd META] "KEYWORDS" in English.  This puts
slightly more work on the developer for the benefit of users reading categories in
their native language, and I think that's a fair trade-off.  (Of course what would be
ideal is for devs to write keywords in their native language, users to see them, and
patch translation to just work, but it sounds like it's more complicated than that.)

-Jonathan