[PD] Sensors GPIO Raspberry Pi Pd

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 27 14:09:43 CET 2013

On 2013-03-27 06:31, Julian Brooks wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've been after some sensors for motion detection on the RPi and Martin
> Peach spotted these (thanks again Martin!)
>
> http://uk.farnell.com/omron-electronic-components/d6t-44l-06/sensor-thermal-mems-4x4/dp/2218000
>
> They're fairly new and I've not been able to find anything about anyone
> making use of them on the RPi as of yet (though after posting a question
> on the RPi forum I did note that Farnells stock went from 48 the 4 in
> three days, so maybe something soon eh?:).
>
> I've got absolutely no idea what I'm doing with this so could do with
> some 'hand-holding'.
>
> What I would much prefer would be to keep everything within Pd if
> possible...
>
> 1st off, and possibly dumb question - do we need [hid]? - My previous
> experience with xbee sensors did, so this is why I'm asking.

[hid] is for USB devices so no.

> There are a few mentions of using python to get the data received on the
> Pi and then OSC'ing that into Pd but Miller mentioned on another thread
> "gpio on the raspberry pi from within pd ?"
> about writing an external to keep it within Pd.  Any news/progress/tips
> on that front?

http://www.gigamegablog.com/2012/11/04/beaglebone-coding-101-i2c/ talks
about using i2c and python with the beaglebone which is a similar
machine. It even uses code written for the Pi
(https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Raspberry-Pi-Python-Code). Using
python ans OSC seems to be the easiest way to get started.

> In the same thread Charles Goyard seems to have it working with
> [textfile], which seems far too simple (I'd very much like that if that
> was the case)
>
> The sensor transmits the data as i2c but I haven't found anything in the
> archives particularly about anyone translating i2c directly in Pd yet?

I just got one of these and I'm going to try it with an arduino since
the i2c there is easier to use. The arduino can talk to Pd using [comport].

Martin