[PD] direct connection from pd to webrowser, low latency

onyx@onyx-ashanti.com onyxashanti at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 16:14:11 CEST 2013

Greetings!  I hope all is well with you.  I wanted to ask if i might gain
some of your insight on a project i am undertaking.

I am currently attempting to stream my audio into html5 capable web
browsers of smartphones.  i have created a local network and installed
nginx as my webserver.  i and a friend got everything working with the
oggcast~ and mp3cast~ objects and the icecast 2 server, but the latency was
horrific-5-15seconds.  I would like to investigate the idea of taking
advantage of the plugin-less nature of these modern fast browsers and pipe
the audio directly into it as directly as possible the same way voip works
but lower bandwidth and only one way.

I see that udpsend~ can do alot of what i think i want, but i am confused
as to how i might connect it with the audio socket in the client browser
(if socket is even the right term).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  and if i get it working, as
before, i will document the findings in a step by step once it works.
thank you.

cheers!

Onyx

--