[PD] CPU usage of GUI objects in subpatches

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 23:18:00 CEST 2013

On 07/15/2013 09:13 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't test current Pd versions nor your fork, but up to 0.43 GUI
> objects in subpatches or abstractions were a substantial and significant
> CPU load when they are activated, even when invisible. So this is slow:
>
>   [r data]
>   [hsl ...]
>   [s data-out]
>
> But this is fast:
>
>   [r data]
>   | [hsl ...]
>   |/
>   [s data-out]

Pd-l2ork version 20130528:

I put a [inlet]---[hsl]---[outlet] in a subpatch and compared to a
subpatch with [inlet]--[float]--[outlet].

Measuring sending a random float to each subpatch.  Hsl subpatch was
between 0.005 and 0.006
and float subpatch was 0.004.

Measuring cpu usage with gnome-system-monitor with a [metro 1] driving
the hsl subpatch:
* when subpatch is un-vis'd and metro is off, cpu usage is around 15%
* when subpatch is un-vis'd and metro is on, cpu usage is between 15-20%
(using gnome-system-monitor so it's hard to discern the difference on
the graph)
* when subpatch is vis'd, cpu usage is around 60%

So when the patch is vis'd, substantial and significant CPU load. When
unvis'd, not so much.

Debian wheezy, AMD64, pd-l2ork

-Jonathan