[PD] tanh() or a compressor?

Mario Mey mariomey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 04:37:36 CEST 2013

I read
http://designingsound.org/2013/06/tutorial-a-compressor-in-pure-data/
about compressor working and I tried 3 different (or similar)
compressors: the one from the page, the one from DIY2 by Hardoff and the
one from rjdj by Jwif. I thought that compressors works different...

I use visual arrays to see the difference from the original sound (that
is very loud) and the compressed one. With the first compressor, there
was NO DIFFERENCE. No at all... I don't know if I was using wrong, but
it was the same graphic. With DIY2/st-compressor.pd, there's difference
and it seems to be good... untill I make a kick. Again, the waves goes
to the sky (well, not so much). The third compressor can compress a lot
(low threshold), but all the rest of the sound does too.

I though that only the sounds that are higher the threshold are
compressed and the rest stay the same. Am I wrong? Am I confused? I
thought that a compressor is like tanh(), but with editable controls.

Can someone explain this to me?

El 30/09/13 17:23, Charles Z Henry escribió:
> Then, you haven't picked the right computer for your composition :)
If I could, I would buy another notebook... and throw away this
with-non-working-in-Linux-hybrid-graphic-cards fucking HP notebook. But,
our economy is fatal. One dollar is ten argentine pesos. I bought this
computer 3-4 years ago, at ARS $6.000. Think spending U$S 6.000 in a
computer. Now, a good computer, is above $10.000.

El 30/09/13 17:43, mr sgg escribió:
> ask 4 persons and you probably will get 4 different answers. first
> thing i would notice the setup seems dirty. for example use an
> external preamp instead of digital amplification (e.g. *~4) if you
> want proper sound quality. secondly i think you should try out and
> trust your ears. it really depends on what you want it to sound. tanh
> most probably will lead to more distortion while compression will eat
> more cpu.
I will use a wireless system with this mic, so, it has gain. I'll check
that, because I think that it is important a preamp there.
> to avoid your kicks being louder than vocals you should refer to
> beatboxers. maybe you do something wrong there. or you should use 2
> mics. i admit i am not familiar with mixing rappers who beatbox at the
> same time
The mic is very good and it sound very good. I want to clarify my
doubts, because I "see" waves beyond 1 in visual arrays... and I want to
understand that.