[PD] LED on the Cheap

Charles Goyard cg at fsck.fr
Thu Oct 3 12:54:48 CEST 2013

Hi,

Alvin Google wrote:
> I am writing a proposal to use Pure-Data to control LED panels that
> would light part of a rock quarry. The panels should both illuminate
> and show pixelated imagery (the resolution dependent on the quality
> of LEDs). I would looking for the cheapest and easiest solution. It
> has to be visible at some distance so the panel size would have to
> be at least 2 x 3 meters. This sort of application is completed new
> to me and any and all advise would be super helpful..

It depends heavily on whether your want still images or animation.

If you want animation, the difficulty grows with the fps rate.

Ie if you want 1 fixed picture per 10 seconds, you can hack something
out of an arduino + i2c adressable led strips (check on hackaday.com for
hardware sources ; have a look at the peggy 2.0 board).

If you want video, ask Chinese factories that make video displays with
LED curtains. Then you can hook up a VGA signal into your LED display.
It's rather hard to DIY and certaintly not a beginner project.

Hope this helps,

--
Charlot