[PD] Building externals on OSX

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 24 21:44:54 CEST 2013

On 10/22/2013 05:34 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> I'm not going to argue OS politics, again use what works best for you.
> I can understand the frustration with how the build system works on
> OSX. It is actually really nice in a lot of ways but it took me a
> while to get the hang of it after switching from Linux.
>
> Without counting Debian, I still think there's really no need at this
> point to support a PPC build for OSX. When I wrote "drop PPC support"
> in earlier emails, I was referring only to OSX.

I understand.  It just seemed you were explaining why PPC is no longer
supported as the natural outgrowth of software development progress.  I
mentioned Debian both because I'm curious if anyone runs it on PPC, and
also as a counter-example to the type of development model Apple uses.
(One which is able to support a much wider variety of architectures at a
fraction of the cost.)

A longer discussion of OS politics is probably an unnecessary digression
here: both you and I are building things in OSX, and that won't change
by pointing out differences in our philosophy for why we do it.  But I
just wanted to point out that "use what works for you" should expand to
"use what works for you without creating a moral hazard for all of us".
One doesn't need to use the language of free software advocates in order
to do that, but free software is undoubtedly part of any viable solution.

If the internet that connects all these devices weren't actively being
weaponized I probably wouldn't quibble over this.

Well, I might, but it'd feel more like a pasttime and less like a
necessity. :)

> The code as it is now should compile just fine on Debian PPC since the
> only architecture differences as far as I know would be compiling for
> little endian versus big endian on Intel. I don't think there are any
> architecture specific assembly / function calls in Pd.
>
> So in the end, dropping OSX PPC support helps in simplifying the build
> scripts at least. Again, I think there's really no need to host newer
> Pd OSX PPC binaries, just leave the last one there since anyone using
> it will be on a much older version of OSX anyway.

Ok, that sounds like the way to go then.

-Jonathan