[PD] Mess with Pd installation on Linux

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Dec 29 13:49:05 CET 2013

On 2013-12-29 12:03, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> I'm a newbie in Linux and have installed Ubuntu 12.04. I have a running Pd
> vanilla (0.44-3), but wanting to use jack, I got the latest version
> (0.45-4) and recompiled.
>
> My steps for both versions were: extract the downloaded file to my home
> directory (I've made a directory there called 'apps'), and cd to that
> directory, ./autogen.sh then ./configure --enable-jack (btw, at the end of
> configure, there was a JACK....no),

you are probably missing the jack development packages.
run
$ sudo aptitude install libjack-jackd2-dev

(alternatively, just install all the packages needed to build the
puredata package: "sudo aptitude build-depends puredata"; note however
that the puredata package is built against jack1 (and can be used with
jack2) - but the development packages of jack1 might conflict with your
jack2 installation)

> then make and sudo make install.

good.

> If I type pd in a terminal I get Pd-0.44-3 working fine (without jack). My

bad.

> question is, how do I get to open Pd-0.45.4? Is pd a symbolic link pointing
> at the pd binary? If so, how do I make it point at the newer version? And
> where is this link located?

probably you messed with your path.
after successfully running "make install" the "pd" binary should be
installed to "/usr/local/bin/pd" (unless you changed that when running
configure; in any case you should examine the output of "make install",
as it will show where it installed the files to).

but: when running "pd", your system will search in it's PATH for the
first "pd" binary it can find.

what's the output of the following command:
$ which pd
what's the output of:
$ echo $PATH

you can force to run a given binary by specifying it's full path:
$ /usr/local/bin/pd
or
$ /usr/bin/pd

the alternatives stuff,... is only used by the deb-packages of puredata
and pdx.

gfmdra
IOhannes