[PD] console font size really big

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 25 00:25:23 CET 2014

On 01/24/2014 05:31 PM, Peter P. wrote:
> Johnathan WIlkins wrote:
>
>> I'd be curious to know what window manager you are using.
>>
>> Try going into pd-gui.tcl and find the line:
>> # tk scaling 1
>>
>> Remove the "#", save the file, and then restart Pd.  See if that
>> solves the problem.
>> (Depending on how you are running Pd, you may need to have privileges
>> to edit that file)
>> -Jonathan
> I am using fluxbox.
>
> Indeed, editing /usr/local/lib/pd/tcl/pd-gui.tcl to yield
>      tk scaling 1
> solved the problem for me.
>
> Interestingly there is a file /usr/local/bin/pd-gui.tcl present as
> well, whose changes do not have an effet. This Pd is installed using
> "make install" from within Miller's git sources. I wonder why
> pd-gui.tcl is installed twice on my system, the latter one also being
> in my $PATH.
>
> Thank you again for this quick one Jonathan.
>
> There is a comment related to tk scaling in this very file just above
> the scaling option:
>      # we are not using Tk scaling, so fix it to 1 on all platforms.  This
>      # guarantees that patches will be pixel-exact on every platform
>      # 2013.07.19 msp - trying without this to see what breaks - it's
>      # having
>      # deleterious effects on dialog window font sizes.
>
> Would be interesting to know wonder what the deletrious effects were.

Tk has a very friendly but very small community without the resources to
make sure everything works as advertised across all platforms.  So
depending on which platform you use you'll see different symptoms,
depending on how well tk is integrated with the guts of the window
manager (in GNU/Linux, this would be "not at all"), the accuracy of the
info delivered to Tk from the OS/window manager, implementation
features/bugs in a particular graphics subsystem, etc.

One detail is that if you let [tk scaling] do its thing, you'll see
problems in the postscript output if you print a patch.  There's an ugly
fix somewhere for this which requires hacking the ps output to scale it
by the tk scaling factor.

But if you hard code tk scaling to 1 users on Windows will see font
problems from Tk's half-baked, hardly documented theming engine that
would require _really_ ugly hacks all over Pd to fix.

-Jonathan