[PD] Data structures and their clickable area

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 00:24:16 CET 2014

On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 23:35 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using a template consisting of a rectangle done with [filledpolygon]
> and a number [drawnumber] in it. While mouse clicks anywhere in the area
> of the rectangle are detected, it's only possible to change the number
> with the keyboard when I exactly click on the number. Is there a way to
> make the number catch the keyboard no matter where I click in the
> rectangle?

To answer my own question: I had some thought about dealing with the
'capture the keyboard' part. When clicking the rectangle, I could use
the pointer to route keyboards events from [keyname] to the clicked
scalar. This way, I could even use 'Left' and 'Right' key events to move
the scalar selection with the keyboard. This would allow to set a whole
array of numbers by only using the keyboard. It's still not clear how to
unselect the whole thing, when data entry is completed, though. I
believe many interfaces allow de-select something by clicking anywhere
nearby. Don't know if that is feasible in Pd. Using a key would be
another option. The 'Escape' key, for instance.

Roman