[PD] RjDj/ScenePlayer for iOS?

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 18:28:41 CET 2014

Yes, Iohannes, RjDj scenes work in PdParty. I have tested all of the scenes
I have from years ago, including interactive ones which use the
accelerometer like the bouncy scene. I do not support scenes generated by
the now defunct rjc1000 elper app nor do I support the scene paging feature
used in the rjdj intro scene, but AFAIK that's the only scene that used it.

I would hope that other libpd based apps would adopt the same rjdj
messaging standard so patches would work, at least, between PdParty &
PdDroidParty.

----------------------

The following is not aimed at you, IOhannes, but at noone in particular…

<begin rant>

PdParty has been in beta since September 2013 and I've been talking loudly
about it since spring of last year. Back then I said it would support RjDj
scenes and even posted about my intentions when RjDj was removed from the
app store in 2011.

With the beta, I wrote a very detailed user guide that clearly states that
it not only support RjDj scenes but also has all of the same rj objects and
events ([#touch], [#accelerate], etc). At this point, it is clearly beyond
a port of PdDroidParty as I have reimplemented *all* of the Pd-vanilla/iem
guis in Obj-C & CoreGraphics. In fact, you can animate and change their
color, etc on the fly like in the regular pd gui.

My long term dream would be to add patch creation/editing but that's really
contingent on getting some sort of gui helper layer into libpd as I have no
desire to reverse engineer parts of the existing gui framework.

I have put out beta calls more than once and have only had perhaps middling
interest, with a few people saying they installed it, but far less people
have signed up than I would have thought. (A thank you to those that have
and bigger thank you to those that have provided feedback.) I recently was
told that having to "sign up" for a beta testing service was "far too
difficult" and I should just put it on the app store. I imagine those same
people would complain on the app store when something that could have been
tested in beta didn't work.

The whole point of a beta is to get help finding bugs in a private manner
from people who would know what to look for, not the general public or
students trying to use it in a class. It's supposed to be a community
effort to HELP ME put out a new platform app for FREE. Once on the app
store, it should basically *just work* otherwise it will be uninstalled
more quickly than the time it took to install it. Also, I was hoping that
people would also help me make cool demo scenes & patches, but that hasn't
happened either.

All of this is after I've spent probably 2 months of full time unpaid solo
work on PdParty in 2013. I could expect that people would in the very least
show interest in this project and help me work on it for when I will
basically put it out for free on the App Store.

<end rant>