[PD] Android latency status?

Martin Schied crinimal at gmx.net
Fri Aug 8 16:28:39 CEST 2014

Hi Max,

On 08/08/2014 02:37 PM, Max wrote:
> On 08/06/2014 07:17 PM, Filippo Beck Peccoz wrote:
>> Dear list,
>
>> I'm in the process of starting another PD based project, but was
>> wondering if the latency on Android devices is still terrible
>> compared to any other platform? I've seen this list
>> <http://puredata.info/docs/AndroidLatency/> and the numbers are
>> staggering…
> I think the figures of that list are okay to compare the devices
> relative to each other, but not okay in their absolute numbers. I
> vaguely remember Martin Schied claiming that there is some false
> assumption or vastly improvable implementation in the way the latency
> is tested there. Martin, can you remind me what that was?

yes the latency tester on the above linked page is compiled with a too
old libpd to give comparable results on higher android versions and
newer versions of libpd.

As far as I remember I tested latency on some devices with the latency
tester app. Then I also used the pd patch that comes with it and used it
inside the most recent version of the "scene player" app (used the git
version supplied with libpd, roughly 1.5 years ago). The results were
different from each other, I think this is because the more recent scene
player could take advantage of the newer audio API that supports lower
latency. Still also with the most recent scene player back then I got
nothing better than about 400 or 500ms on a device that's supposed to
use low latency (Nexus i9250) - but I did not read through the code,
maybe the low latency part was just not enabled - still it was faster
than the latency tester app...

https://github.com/libpd/pd-for-android/wiki/Low-latency-support-for-compliant-devices

Martin