[PD] [Bulk] gui toolkits

Alessio Degani alessio.degani at ymail.com
Wed Dec 24 11:47:03 CET 2014

On 24/12/2014 06:18, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
> Hi list,
> I've been investigating other guis as possible replacements for tcl/tk
> gui.  A few reasons:
> * tk is slow to redraw
> * no anti-aliasing except on OSX
> * poor support for theming
> * poor support for standard image formats
> * binary alpha channel
> * limited control of font properties on canvas
> * lack of proper canvas zooming
> * non-standard file save/open dialogs
> * lack of common gui-toolkit tools like tooltips and rich text
> * too much bit-rot in third-party libraries to work around all the above

Good point.
In my opinion, graphical stuff requires a lot of effort (in code/design
and, of course, for the portability).
I really *LOVE* the pd (well... I prefer pd-extended :) ) graphical
philosophy: small bocks, no exploding rainbows of color. Simple and
elegant.

Can be better? Probably. Especially considering the issues presented by
Jonathan. But I think that will be a huge milestone (in terms of
effort). Ok... the modular nature of pd can help a lot in order to make
smooth transitions.

To the technical side, which tk?
1. JUCE: multiplatform
2. FlowCanvas (now Ganv, http://drobilla.net/software/flowcanvas/):
technically is not a tk, but a widget for Gtkmm, but its a nice widget
for drawing "boxes and lines" (cit. Drobilla) stuff.

Cheers

Alessio

> [CUT]
> -Jonathan