[PD] deken (OS X)

Samuel Burt composer.samuel.burt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 21:19:08 CET 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm just getting around to trying out deken. I think this will be a
> wonderful way to deal with libraries. I'm having some problems in OS X,
> though.
>
> I used deken to import zexy and cyclone. The help files appear in the help
> browser, now, but none of the objects will load. I've tried [import zexy].
> I noticed ~/Library/Pd was not included in the search path. I tried adding
> it and restarting without any results. Am I doing something wrong?
>

> As far as I know, currently Deken installs built libs but does not add
> them to your list of libs to load at startup. You need to do that manually.

Oh, I didn't realize that I could just type the name of the library I want
to load in the startup dialog. I thought it required specific tags. I've
got that working, now! (This is probably something I used to do, years ago,
before extended spoiled me.)

> Some libraries I searched for, like moonlib, were only available in
> Windows and Linux flavors. Would it be easy for me to compile missing
> libraries and upload them to add options for OS X users? (I know very
> little about the backend of package management systems.)
>

> Yes. If the libraries are updated to support building via the pd-lib-builder
> Makefile <https://github.com/pure-data/pd-lib-builder>, it should be
> easy. So far, “updating” seems to only require adding the Makefile and a
> template to call a copy of pd-lib-builder. Is the reason for not having
> deken automatically add them to startup, because users like to custom-load
> these for particular projects? It would be great if deken had a tick box
> for automatically adding these libraries to the startup routine.
>
> Deken makes this easy to do, see the readme:
> https://github.com/pure-data/deken#create-and-upload-a-package

When I've got some time, I will see what I can do with that. I'm not sure
which extended libraries are "must have" for me, but I did notice deken's
guide to adding libraries for platforms.

> Also, who's developing deken? Is it a team? Just one person? Are there
> plans to have lists of available libraries in the future?
>

> Chris M started it with input by a small group. Recently, IOhannes has
> been working away with a large number of updates, including facilitating
> package storage on puredata.info. Miller has also expressed some interest
> in incorporating Deken into vanilla in the future.

This is all very exciting news! IOhannes, you have always rocked! and
Miller, there aren't enough words to thank you for Pure Data. Keep up the
good fight! Chris M and friends, you guys had a brilliant idea. Thanks for
following through.