[PD] Needing to build an Android/iOS application.

Mario Mey mariomey at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:09:53 CET 2015

Hi, there. I would appreciate so much your help for me to decide if I
will accept a job and how to go on with it.

I have a customer who needs an Android/iOS app that they will give to
his customer who buys them a "device" (this customer of mine is not a
multimillonaire company. It's far away from being like that)

The app would be something like the mockup.png attached and will do
something like this:

First instance:

- It opens a wav/mp3 (max: 1 hour).
- You will see the soundwave and will can make zoom in/out to be precise
(if with gestures, much better).
- You will can play/pause/stop the audio from any place in the timeline.
- You set up to 256 markers/labels in the timeline.
- When you click/tap a marker/label, a new window appears to modify its
information (time/color/type/etc).
- It will convert each mark to a 6 bytes group.
- It save/load files with all this markers (in binary).
- It will send this file, by Bluetooth through the serial port, to the
"device".

Second instance:

- The app will start playing the wav/mp3 file.
- It will send (by Bluetooth) the "start" command to the device.
- (The device starts its timer and already has the sequence file).
- For a perfect syncrhonizing, every second, the app will send the
actual time (by Bluetooth).

I have several options to do this. I ask you if they are possibles and
how difficult are they... and the final decision owns to the customer.
My skills are: I know PureData and Python. So:

      Using MobMuPlat (http://mobmuplat.com/)

I know it is not a framework. I would make a PureData patch and the
MobMuPlat interface. My customer would tell their customers to download
MobMuPlat (Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iglesiaintermedia.mobmuplat,
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/ar/app/mobmuplat/id597679399?mt=8) and
give them the file that I build.

Pros:
- It's the easiest-way.
- MobMuPlat is already in Google Market and iTunes.

Contras:
- It is not a standalone app, as they would like.

Doubt (*and it's important*):
- Could libpd send messages to serial port? There's [comport], but it is
an external. Is it already compiled for Android/iOS?

      Using Kivy (http://kivy.org)

This is a more difficult option. It uses Python to make the app. And
there's Kivy/audiostream (https://github.com/kivy/audiostream) that
gives the phone a access to the speaker and mic. In its example/ folder,
there are puredata examples. Obviously, using libpd.

Pros:
- I would also make the patch in PureData.
- It would make a standalone app (with own name, splash screen, etc).
- It would works in Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, OSX.

Contras:
- I've never used Kivy.
- I've never used any framework.
- I've never used libpd.
- I should build almost from scratch an application.
- I should compile for most Android and iOS versions...
- The difficulty of uploading an app to Google Market and iTunes.

      Using OpenFrameWorks (http://openframeworks.cc/)

Well... I don't know coding C++. I know that this would be the best
framework to do something like this... but it's furthest away from me.
There's ofxPd (https://github.com/danomatika/ofxPd).

      Using PdDroidParty and PdParty

Now, I'm seeing their webpages/githubs. I didn't think in this
possibility... Could it become one more?

Pros:
- Another easiest way.
- It could compile a standalone app (???)

Contras:
- As other frameworks: What about compiling for most Android and iOS
versions...?
- Uploading to markets...?

    Thank you very much!

Mario Mey.