[PD] Needing to build an Android/iOS application.

Daniel Iglesia daniel.iglesia at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 17:20:30 CET 2015

Hi Mario

(Caveat: I'm the developer of MobMuPlat)

What does "send the file, by Bluetooth through the serial port" mean?
Bluetooth is a wireless protocol, serial port usually implies the hardware
port on the device. Do you mean a separate piece of hardware that is
connected to the phone/tablet? Or sending data via a socket to another
software process/app on the device that handles Bluetooth communication?

If the former: Serial output (to another device) is not supported on mobile
OSes with [comport]. And it's not really feasible on iOS (which controls
access, and only allows some standard protocols: MIDI, USB audio, etc) if
you want to put it on the app store. Adding serial i/o on MobMuPlat for
Android is on my eventual to-do list (e.g. to interact with an Arduino or
other board), but it will have to be written at the native app level, not
using PD objects. (e.g. you'd send serial data to a [send toSystem] within
the PD patch).

Regarding packaging MobMuPlat/PdParty as a standalone application: it is
technologically straightforward since they are open source , you'd have to
hack a few lines and re-build the app and sign it. The license for
MobMuPlat allows it, I'm assuming that PdParty/PdDroidParty does as well
but you'd have to check that. See my notes at the very last post here:
https://cycling74.com/forums/topic/running-max-map-on-a-tablet/.

Dan