[PD] oscillators (osc~ / cycle~) not working well in FM?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 17:06:51 CET 2015

By the way, I was wondering and thinking if this was a particularity of the
"0Hz carrier FM", that is: a FM patch with no carrier frequency. But I
tried other regular FM patches with a carrier signal and could see that it
didn't keep static as well.

On the other hand, the same patch implemented as Phase Modulation (PM)
maintains a static waveform in Pd.

In my last example, the patch I had as "waveshaping" could be thought of as
a "0hz PM" patch.

Now, I tested the PM stability with the [phasor~] + [cos~] architecture and
also with [cycle~].

The FM instability happened with both [osc~] and [cycle~].

In Max, a FM patch with [cycle~] is stable.

In short, there's something fishy with FM in Pd...

cheers