[PD] fftease 3.0 compatibility with Linux. Was Re: fftease compatibility with Pd-0.46-7

Samuel Burt composer.samuel.burt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 22:51:29 CET 2016

Ivica,

I downloaded pd-l2ork-arm6l-20151102. Is this the latest?

First off, "WhAaA- curvy patch cords!" The esthetics of l2ork are great. I
hadn't gotten around to checking it out, yet. The windows are a bit slow to
load, but I guess it is a compromise based on what system you are using.
(I'm using pd-l2ork through ssh -X from my pi2.)

After one segmentation fault, I closed it and reopened it and tried just
the pvoc~ help file. After that worked, I added it into my patch. The good
news is it doesn't crash, now. However, the audio is stuttering a lot. So,
I changed the processing delay from 50ms to 100 and the clicks slowed down.
I have it at 200ms and it clicks about four times per second. Deleting some
of two out of three of the pvoc~s helps, too, but maybe [pvoc~] is too much
for the poor little pi.

Even the [pvoc~] help file clicks about 7 times per second.. At least I'm
at a point where the object loads. I'll work at optimizing
efficiency/quality with the analysis window size.

Thanks for your help.

Sam

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 3:30 PM Ivica Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> This is likely due to binary incompatibility. Please try with pd-l2ork.
>
> --
> Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
> Associate Professor
> Computer Music
> ICAT Senior Fellow
> Director -- DISIS, L2Ork
> Virginia Tech
> School of Performing Arts – 0141
> Blacksburg, VA 24061
> (540) 231-6139
> ico at vt.edu
> www.performingarts.vt.edu
> disis.icat.vt.edu
> l2ork.icat.vt.edu
> ico.bukvic.net
> On Jan 29, 2016 2:56 PM, "Samuel Burt" <composer.samuel.burt at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ivica,
>>
>> I'm trying it out now. I had previously tried installing pd-fftease 2.5.2
>> through deken. I grabbed the lyon/ folder out of Pd-l2ork and dropped it
>> into ~/pd-externals. Pd was using the deken version (2.5.2), instead. So, I
>> removed fftease from /usr/local/lib/pd-externals and copied the lyon/
>> folder there. I then created [pvoc~], but when I turn on audio with a
>> [pvoc~] object, Pd crashes with a segmentation fault. [granola~] (the
>> granular pitch-shifter) works so I am assuming some of the other fftease
>> objects work, but [pvoc~] gave me a hard crash every time.
>>
>> I'll keep hacking away at it. If anyone else discovers a solution, let me
>> know. I could also reformat the patch to use the 2.5.2 [pvoc~] although
>> then I can't program the patch on my Mac and then transfer it straight. I'd
>> have to heavily modify it every time.
>>
>> Thanks for the recommendation to use pd-l2ork's libraries.
>>
>> Sam
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 6:16 PM Ivica Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Pd-l2ork is not binary compatible with vanilla, although non-gui objects
>>> compiled for pd-l2ork will likely work ok.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
>>> Associate Professor
>>> Computer Music