[PD] Compiling Externals using MinGW / MSYS on Windows

fjkraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 23 07:53:03 CET 2016

Hi Ricky,

> Hi folks,
>
> I’m attempting to compile on a Windows 7 machine running the most
> recent version of MinGW. I’m using Katja's pd-lib-builder
> (https://github.com/pure-data/pd-lib-builder). My MinGW installer
> states that I have Make v. 3.81 installed (required to compile using
> Katja’s project). However, when I check Make version on MSYS shell,
> it states that the version is 3.7, thus not allowing me to compile. I
> cannot find any documentation anywhere on how to upgrade Make. I
> suspect something isn’t pointing where it should. Does anyone have
> any ideas why MSYS shell would report an older version of Make despite
> what my MinGW installer is telling me?

Probably because it is in the PATH earlier. What is the result of which
make?

> All the best,
>
> Ricky

Greetings,

Fred Jan

P.S. MinGW comes with a nice GUI tool to view and select packages. If I
remember correctly, the MSYS subsystem has its own build chain
containing other (older) versions. It should be used only to build MSYS,
so you should deinstall these.