[PD] Messed font files

Alexandros Drymonitis adrcki at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:51:46 CET 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds like the font files themselves in that folder were system links
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbolic_link>  so the fonts actually live
> elsewhere. In general, you do *not* want to change the folder structure
> outside of your /usr/home/USERNAME folder since the package management & OS
> rely on it.

Well, now I know...

> I’d start by fining which package installs the font and creates the
> symlinks and then force install it. For Debian-based distros, I often use
> the Ubuntu package search to see which package contains the files I’m
> looking for. In this case, it looks like “font-dejavu-core”:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/all/fonts-dejavu-core/filelist

I don't quite get this, can you elaborate? If I type "locate
fonts-dejavu-core" I get this:
/usr/share/doc/fonts-dejavu-core
/usr/share/doc/fonts-dejavu-core/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/fonts-dejavu-core/BUGS
/usr/share/doc/fonts-dejavu-core/README
/usr/share/doc/fonts-dejavu-core/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/fonts-dejavu-core/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/fonts-dejavu-core/copyright
/usr/share/doc/fonts-dejavu-core/langcover.txt.gz
/usr/share/doc/fonts-dejavu-core/status.txt.gz
/usr/share/doc/fonts-dejavu-core/unicover.txt.gz
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fonts-dejavu-core.conffiles
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fonts-dejavu-core.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/fonts-dejavu-core.md5sums

> If the font is back, then the issues related to GEM looking in the wrong
> path could be fixed via IOHannes or some GEM dev updating/making a new font
> search path to GEM. In the meantime, you can do a quick and dirty fix by
> making a symlink from the new font dir to the one GEM is looking for:
>
> sudo ln -s  /usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/

Yes, I thought about making a symbolic link after I wrote the previous
email (and obviously after I stupidly changed the name of the dejavu
directory). But if I create this dejavu directory and create a symbolic
link in it (afterwards I will create the ttf-dejavu, but now I'm also
missing dejavu), which file should the symbolic link point to? Typing
"locate dejavu-sans-mono" outputs this:
/etc/fonts/conf.avail/20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans-mono.conf
/etc/fonts/conf.avail/57-dejavu-sans-mono.conf
/etc/fonts/conf.d/20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans-mono.conf
/etc/fonts/conf.d/57-dejavu-sans-mono.conf

Is any of these files the one I need? This thread is quite off-topic, but
maybe not 100%...