[PD] libpd for Unity still alive?

Scott R. Looney scottrlooney at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 00:56:12 CEST 2016

hi Ali - answers inline, for my part,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Ali Momeni <batchku at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
> This is wonderful, thank you for contributing to this thread. Glad to see
> that Unity + PureData is active:
>
> @wing: I also put together a unity+pd integration example; it has a
> bouncing ball withs sonification done in Pd; works on Android!
> https://github.com/cmuartfab/libpd4unity-starter  I will take a look at
> your work also, thank you for sharing that.
>
> @scott: I also tried Kalimba, but i have massive latency on Android, on
> the order of 300-500ms.  Did you have this experience?

Android latency is often a fact of life, even by that much. one question is
whether you're getting that latency playing it in the Editor. if not, that
may be a libpd question that would need answering. you might also reach out
to Sebastian(hagish) to ask him, though he might be no longer working with
libpd since Kalmiba wasn't updated in a while. he did in fact say that
Android latency was an issue in the Read Me. however you might have more
luck with this fork which has a latency fix in Android. not sure how good
it is, but it's been updated about a year ago:

https://github.com/marcinkaszynski/kalimba

if you are getting latency in the Editor, i'm not sure what to say. i
haven't tested latency yet (midterm grading wiped my weekend out).

> @scott+ at wing: can you give me an example or two of when you may need
> multiple instances of LibPd in one's unity project? Couldnt you just make a
> more complex Pd patch that has all the things you want happening in it?

@ali - as i understand it, creating instances of PD/libpd has been
discussed for a while as a positive step. i haven't had a need for it yet
but others on this list have discussed benefits, mostly in terms of both
power and resource management. there are drawbacks as well, but
unfortunately i don't know the particulars. one instance is enough for me
for the moment though. but i think the strength is dynamically spawning and
killing resources as needed.

best,
scott