[PD] Request - Deleting struct instances, progress?

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Tue Jan 3 12:00:19 CET 2017

> but what is the
> [scalar] object supposed to do? Is it just a specific instance of a
> struct in the linked list?

What it does is create its own subpatch and append a single scalar of a given template (struct). This way it's a bit like the table object. I often use it when I don't care about the graphical representation and just want to use a struct as a container of heterogenous data. I think it's meant to get an interface similar to [array] and [text] in the future, but even in its current rudementary form it's quite useful.

Regarding your request of a 'delete' method:

We can already delete scalars from the glist by selecting their graphical representation in the subpath and hit `del', just with any other object. Pointers will get marked invalid (error message about pointer being 'empty' or 'stale') and therefore stay safe. So the functionality is there, we just need a way to delete a scalar by pointer.

in the meantime, here's a little hack how to delete specific scalar instances (as long the scalar has a drawing instruction and is visible + editable). get the scalar's x + y coordinates with [get], then send following message to the subpatch containing the scalar:
[mouse x y 1 0, mouseup x y 1, key 1 8 0(

Christof